- 1. Research students are students who have already registered for MS or PhD at IIIT-S. They could be full time or part time.
- 2. Research students register every semester and progress academically under the supervision of adviser. There could be more than one adviser for a student. Primary adviser is a faculty member of the Institute. He/She takes care of all the administrative roles, including the support.
- 3. Full time students should be available on campus throughout the semester and summer, except when they are on approved leave or formally traveling or visiting another institution/field as part of the research.
- 4. Research students report to the adviser for all the academic purposes. All their administrative requests are routed through the adviser.
- 5. Research students could take full semester leave (with no Tuition/Stipend) with the prior permission of advisor if there is a valid reason to be away from campus and research. This can be for a maximum of 1 Year (or two semesters) during the program.
- 6. A student needs to be registered in the semester when the student submits
Research Students Support Process
Tuition and Stipend
- 1. Research students pay Tuition of 5K per month or 60K per year. They could give standing instructions to deduct it from the support/fellowship.
- 2. MS students are given a maximum support of 13K (8+5) in the first year and 15K (10+5) beyond the first year. Beyond three year, student needs to demonstrate the academic progress.
- 3. PhD students are given a maximum support of 25K (20+5) up to two years and 28K (23+5) beyond that. Beyond 5 years, student needs to demonstrate the academic progress. If academic progress is not up to the level, then support can be reduced to the MS level support. Periodically the advisors will assess the performance of students and take decisions accordingly.
- 4. Financial support from external sources (fellowships, external funded projects) may aid to the above mentioned support amount for MS and PhD students. In any case, the student will receive the stipend amount which is maximum of the two amounts. (Example: If external support is Rs30,000 and internal support is Rs28,000, the student will get Rs30,000 only. If external support is Rs22,000 and internal support is Rs28,000, the student will get Rs.28,000 only. In any case, total supports from various sources will not be added to provide financial support to the students.
- 5.Part time students pay Tuition. They are not provided with any Stipend from the institute. They are not provided with regular student facilities like Hostel.
More on Support
- 1.Financial support is provided only on satisfactory academic progress. This will be based on the evaluation by the adviser on a regular basis.
- 2.All research students are typically supported if their academic performance is satisfactory. Institute makes extra effort in this direction. All research student supports are coordinated and compiled by the Faculty in-charge of Research Student support.
- 3. Research students are supported by the institute (for both Tuition and Stipend) when the adviser is not selected (immediately after joining). Such students are typically involved with the appropriate institute activities and will be coordinated by the faculty in charge of institute support.
- 4.Faculty in-charge of Research Student support
(i) coordinates for TA selection process
(ii) works with institute requirements of temporary academic and technical activities (such as managing labs/websites)
(iii)additional requirement/openings for specific R&D projects. Beyond this also manages institute support for student travel for attending academic events such as conferences, within the budget limits. For travel budget allowance, research project allotment document can be referred, which mentions the proportion of total budget available for travel. In any case, such travels can be planned by students in consultation with respective advisors. Depending on the availability of funds from different sources, advisor may allocate funds to students as travel grants.
- 5. In addition to this, institute also provides full fellowship for exceptional candidates on merit basis. This will be selected based on the resume and other academic performance details. Dean coordinates this selection. This could be for one semester or for a longer duration.
- 6. In general, adviser is expected to directly support or arrange the support through another appropriate channels.
- 7. A student may be under an external fellowship. If so, institute should be informed about the details. Research office will act as an interface in such cases.
- 8. A student could a lso be supported through TA-ship with institute support. For this, student applies to faculty in charge of this allotment through the adviser one month before the semester/registration.
- 1. A student who is selected with an adviser (say through the standing committee chair (SCC)) will be supported by the adviser from the beginning.
- 2.For a student who is selected without adviser, institute provides support for the first semester. It is the responsibility of the student to do well in the academics (coursework) and choose an adviser available d u r i n g first semester. Institute provides forums for interaction between the new students
and prospective advisers. For subsequent semesters, an adviser endorsement is required for the semester registration. During the first semester, chair P ost Graduate Studies (PGC) will act as the adviser for administrative purposes.
- 3. A full time student could convert to part time and vice versa with prior permission of the adviser and dean.
- 4. P G C will provide clarifications and guidance on the academic progress
(course work, graduation requirements etc.).
- 5. A change in adviser is possible in rare situations when student, previous adviser and, the new adviser requests together.
- 6. Registration of a student could be terminated
(i) when the student performance is not satisfactory for two continuous semesters
(ii) when the student does not register for two semester continuously (without a valid leave)
(iii) other exceptional academic or non-academic situations.
- 1.A student can take a leave of maximum 7 days per semester with prior approval from respective advisor.
- 2.Any extended leave of more than 7 days has to be requested two weeks in advance to the respective advisor.
- 3. Any absence without approval will call for punitive measures. It may attract
swift disciplinary action.
- 4. In medical cases, appropriate documents will be required to approve the leave. Students should ensure that information pertaining to any medical condition should be reported to Research Office as soon as possible.